Increasing Visitation Under a Standard Possession Order
Posted on: April 30th, 2013

Suppose that since your last order regarding possession and access, you and your child’s other parent have followed the Standard Possession order without deviation.  Now you have decided that the amount of time you spend with your child just does not seem to be enough or you are about to finalize a suit incorporating the Standard Possession order and you want as much visitation as possible.

As a parent that has shown an ability to act in your child’s best interest, you can elect “alternate beginning and ending possession times” which can significantly increase the amount of your visitation.  These “alternate beginning and ending possession times” apply to parents who reside 100 miles or less apart, some holiday possession, and to weekend possession extended by a holiday.  For example, your possession may start when school is dismissed on Friday and end when school starts on Monday giving you an extra overnight stay.  To increase your overnight stay an additional night you can elect your Thursday possession to start when school is dismissed and end when school starts on Friday. Therefore, on the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends your child would spend the night with you on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Know that the election must be made before or at the time the possession order is made.  If you are currently under a possession order as in the first instance described above, a modification of the order will be required.  Contact the family law attorneys at The McCleskey Law Firm with questions about modifying your possession order or any other concerns you have with your child’s visitation.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.