McCleskey, Harriger, Brazill & Graf is one of the oldest and largest law firms in West Texas, and we pride ourselves on our heritage and contributions to this region. The firm was founded in 1928 in Tahoka, Texas, by Garrett Hobert Nelson, who went on to become senator of Texas’ 31st Senatorial District. Senator Nelson moved his law practice to Lubbock, Texas in 1935 and formed a partnership with former Judge Clark M. Mullican. After Judge Mullican left in the late 30s, Senator Nelson partnered with Franklin D. Brown to form Nelson & Brown in 1939.
GEORGE W. MCCLESKEY joined the Nelson & Brown law firm in 1940 after his graduation from the University of Texas School of Law. He left the firm from 1942-45 to serve with the U.S. Navy during World War II, where he achieved the rank of Lieutenant Commander. When he returned, his name was added to the firm’s, making it Nelson, Brown & McCleskey. During his lengthy legal career, he became known as a statewide authority on water law and an ardent water conservationist. Texas Tech University School of Law honored his contributions to the area of water law by creating the George W. McCleskey Endowed Professorship in 1998. Mr. McCleskey passed away in 1997.
HAROLD O. HARRIGER, also a graduate of University of Texas School of Law, joined the firm in 1955. Mr. Harriger was an Air Force veteran with a deep commitment to the West Texas community. He served on several local boards, including the Board of Trustees of Methodist Hospital and Plains National Bank. He also served six years on the Lubbock Independent School District board and was a 32nd degree Mason with the El Paso Scottish Rite. In 1958, the firm acknowledged Mr. Harriger’s contributions by adding his name and making it Nelson, McCleskey & Harriger (Mr. Brown had since retired). Mr. Harriger passed away in 2012.
CLARENCE P. BRAZILL, Jr., joined the firm in 1961. A graduate of Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Mr. Brazill was Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. His counsel to families and businesses in Lubbock and throughout West Texas and New Mexico earned him a reputation as one of the most sought-after estate planning and probate attorneys in the area. Mr. Brazill’s name was added to the firm in 1970, to make it Nelson, McCleskey, Harriger & Brazill. Mr. Brazill passed away in 1990.
DON GRAF joined the firm in 1962 after the completion of his legal education at the University of Texas School of Law. Mr. Graf is Board Certified in Labor & Employment by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and continues to provide exceptional counsel to Lubbock and West Texas businesses. Mr. Graf also serves as the Executive Director of the CH Foundation, a Lubbock-based charitable foundation that supports local cultural and educational institutions.
In 1977, after the death of Mr. Nelson, the firm’s original founder, the firm name changed to McCleskey, Harriger, Brazill & Graf, which it remains today.
From its humble beginnings more than 80 years ago, McCleskey, Harriger, Brazill & Graf has evolved and grown, but its spirit of community involvement and integrity in the practice of law continue to be its foundation and cornerstone.